Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010





I'd like to share with you the book that started my interest in The Sikh Wars. The book was entitled, "The Sikhs and the Sikh Wars" by Charles Gough & Arthur Innes. More than twenty years ago a friend loaned me the original book to read; I've since managed to track down this pictured copy, from Kaveri Books of New Delhi, India. The ISBN is 81-7479-068-3, and like the original, it features all the maps on separate fold outs, very nice.

Another valuable resource has been the Andrew Preziosi's compilation of the Orders of Battle for the First Sikh War. The second photo shows it as a small, green, pamphlet -style book. Originally fro Khyber Pass Games, today they are available from TVAG (The Virtual Armchair General).

I also like to read, and reread Donald Featherstone's, "At them with the Bayonet". His writing style is pleasant and chock full of information about officer performance and what the troops endured to achieve their objectives. It's the third book shown, and helps with troop classifications within the framework of the rules I'm using now. Hopefully I'll have a battle report done in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and looking forward to following your project.

    I first heard of the Sikh wars when Don Featherstone wrote of his flat figure range back in Wargamers Newsletter. Since then I have been tempted by his book, Willie figures, Brig. Hughes' book Firepower and the Foundry range. Yet still I have never got started!

    Nevertheless I look forward to fulfilling the ambition vicariously with your project.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - can't wait to see your miniatures!

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete