Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Portable Wargame on the Sutlej



I've recently become enamored with Bob Cordery's rules "The Portable Wargame" . 
They can be found at his siteWargaming Miscellany .


Here is the opening set-up for the battle of Gujerat.
The British are approach left and the wily Sikhs have set up in front of Gujerat.

Our first move shows a cavalry action in the foreground; lancers and
hussars forward to drive off the Ghorchurras and regular dragoons.


The british infantry line advances buoyed by the success of the cavalry.







As the cavalry battle rages the Sikhs have sent in irregulars to occupy the village on the cavalry's left flank.


With horse artillery and determined assaults by infantry the irregulars give up the village.
The hussars begin to mop up the remaining Ghorchurras.








More Sikh infantry, regulars this time, attempt to retake the village.


Meanwhile on the left of the British line, Sikh infantry has
taken and holds the second village which anchors their lines.
The British commander sends in two infantry regiments to dislodge them,
supported by artillery fire.


The battle rages for two turns. Pinning and unpinning each unit in turn.


Finally, the Sikhs make some well laid artillery shots and the dice send
the victorious Sikh infantry into the British second line.

At this point the game ended . All in all a very enjoyable fight. I thought the rules worked well. I had followed the modifications made on Bob's site from other play testers, and found they worked well. This battle was fought on a dry plain and the terrain was minimal.
I used 6 inch hexes traced onto a plain brown cloth with pencil. The figures are a mix of MiniFigs, Old Glory and Foundry; the buildings scratch built, or by Hovels.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like an attractive and interesting game. I was hoping for a closer look at the pictures but can't seem to get a larger version to come up. The one in the first post is great.

    The Sikh War is on my radar (probably starting next year) and is one of the periods where I was thinking of using these rules at a 1 unit=1 battalion level, so this was of particular interest to me.

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I had been interested in the Sikh Wars for years, thus my "hodge-podge" collection. I not sure what I did with the pics but will attempt to edit them and hopefully fix things.
    Regards,
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed the images; I needed to update to the "new" blogger edit feature.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just became aware of your blog (via Bob's "Wargaming Miscellany" blog).

    So how do his "Portable Wargame" rules stack up against the others you mentioned in your first post?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bluebear Jeff
    The Portable Wargame gives a clean, fast paced solo game. Once you have played a couple times, the game is automatic and plays to a conclusion in about and hour to an hour and a half. This makes getting a game in easy.
    I still use Lasalle but for large groups of 4-6 players and where there is a 4 hour block of time available.
    In my opinion, Volley & Bayonet is very abstract, like DBA. It doesn't feel different when going from on era to another. Honor and Fortune was interesting in that it incorporated some role playing aspects, but because of this, I had difficulty getting folks to play.
    I really enjoy what Bob has done with TPW and hope he continues to improve the experience for all of use as he has time.
    Regards,
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brigadier Dundas,

    Bluebear Jeff has just told me about your very kind and undeserved praise of my PORTABLE WARGAME rules. I am truly humbled.

    I am going to carry on developing them, but I think that they are almost as good as they are going to get ... for the moment.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good show, delighted to see the Sikh Wars getting an outing. I've started a half hearted collection in 20mm, but it will be quite a while before it gets near a table.

    ReplyDelete